Additional Writer’s Notes
– This is exactly a detailed train of thought which took place while solving this mystery so it is bound for some points to be repeated.
– The rules are fully shown when the reader has finished reading the whole mystery one time, so some reasoning doesn’t necessary takes them in consideration (they are fully taken in consideration by the end)
– This is a 10k word post. Possibly the longest Umineko post I’ve written. The editing was insane and there’s probably some more to do (there is always some). Oh yeaaah.. I probably won’t type this much again.
– There was something bothering me about picking the wrong culprit since it might mess with the ending of the game. Same as in Higurashi with red and blue box the game might ‘remember’ your previous pick.
– Initially, I thought this was a mystery but not exactly “Umineko” meaning with the same characters and names but not with the same setting therefore the initial reasoning didn’t take this into consideration.
– This step-by-step reasoning doesn’t include Erika’s alternative solution.
– Somehow it slipped my mind doors could also be locked from the inside. I doubted the servants and made intricate theories about how the 1st twilight might’ve happened.
– Similarly the “there are no lies in the narration” also slipped my mind thus why there are several “Because B didn’t say anything, what A said was probably true.” and “everyone agreed” in this post.
– And so I didn’t necessarily “use” the rules initially while doing all the thinking but mostly based on what made most sense. This worked out. Ultimately, I did took a harder look at the rules before coming with the final solution.
– I did try to make the whole step-by-step as readable as possible.
– How the 2nd culprit entered the guesthouse was tricky. This is why many (even far-fetched) theories are provided.
– How Nanjo was killed was also tricky. We do know for a fact that he could have only been killed by the 2nd culprit
– Again 1st culprit -> Kyrie 2nd culprit -> Rudolf 3rd Culprit Battler. Kyrie killed the first six, Battler killed Shannon as it was the only chance the 3rd culprit had to commit a crime. The 2nd culprit kill the rest.
– The name of the title (for those who are curious) is loosely based on the *theme* of golden age detectives I usually find – whimsical and sardonic figures who solve mysteries. It is also a reference to the detective Willard H. Wright is based on who was often described in such way. Cynicism also as a general way to describe skepticism. “Intellectual Masturbation” is a satire of all the intellectual games in Umineko. Umineko is a very masturbatory story. No, really, it just is.
– The narration/explanation for the 1st twilight was optional from my part so it doesn’t necessary mean it is 100% certain. I only needed to provide the who and how after all.
– I do hope all Umineko readers used the hints sparely. Seeing how much we’ve all gone through I think it was very solvable. I only used them after I solved them to read the dialogue.
– Mad fun.
~ And All The Goats.